Why Makerere is ranked 10th best university in Africa
Testing of the new car, a project by the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology, was a climax of three years of innovative effort by students of the university led by Deputy Vice Chancellor Prof. Tickodri –Togboa.
The two-seater car is the first electric vehicle to be made in Uganda, and can travel 80km when fully charged.
Makerere is ranked 10th in Africa and 1256 in the world according to the latest rankings by Webometrics.
Top 10 universities in Africa come mostly from South Africa which takes 8 out of the 10 positions.The only other university from Africa at top 10 is the Cairo university at position 8.
Such innovations and increased web presence has made Makerere university shine among the leading universities in the world.
The highest ranked Kenyan university is the University of Nairobi at position 26 in Africa. UoN is ranked at position 2,452 worldwide. Strathmore University is ranked 40 in Africa,Kenyatta University at position 56,African Virtual University at 74,JKUAT at 87 and USIU at 95.
The ranking is based on six academic indicators including the number of articles published, results from the search engine, Google Scholar, number of citations, cumulative impact of journals, quality of research and collaboration with other universities globally.
According to the rankings a student within the East Africa region is better off studying at Makerere university in Uganda which is ranked 10th in Africa and 1256th best university in the world.
Top 10 African Universities
The top ten universities in Africa are University of Cape Town(1 S.A),University of Witwatersrand(S.A),University of Pretoria(S.A),Stellenbosch University(S.A),University of Witwatersrand(SA),KwaZulu Natal(SA),Rhodes University(SA),University of the Western Cape(SA),Cairo University(Egypt),University of South Africa(SA) and Makerere University is at position 10.
USA tops the world best universities list taking the first 15 positions.
The best university in the world according to webometrics is Massachusetts institute of Technology(MIT) followed by Harvard university(US).
At position 3 in the world is Stanford University(US),followed by Cornell University,University of California Berkeley(US),University of Michigan(US),University of Wisconsin Madison(US),University of Washington Seattle(US),University of Minnesota(US),University of Pennsylvanian(US).
Outside US Cambridge University in UK is ranked at position 16. National University of Taiwan at 24,Oxford university at 27.
How universities are ranked
- Number of articles:Total number of articles published in 2009 which are indexed by Web of Science. It measures quantity of current scientific output.
- Google scholar results:Google Scholar results from year 2005 to 2009 are used. Google Scholar results help to measure quantity of continuing scientific output. Google Scholar includes journal and conference papers, theses and dissertations, academic books, pre-prints, abstracts, technical reports and other scholarly literature from all broad areas of research.
- Citation:It is an indicator to evaluate the impact of publications. It is the total number of citations received in 2009 for the articles published in 2005-2009. It measures sustainability of the quality of scientific output. Citation count does not include self citations of authors. The data is obtained from Citation Report of ISI.
- Cumulative journal impact:It is derived by aggregating the impact factors of journals in which a university published articles between 2005 and 2009. The data is based on Journal Impact Factors of ISI in 2009. The cumulative journal impact is calculated by the following formula:
- H Index is an indicator of research quality. It is calculated by averaging the H index values of 2005-2009. This metric is useful because it discounts the disproportionate weight of highly cited papers or papers that have not yet been cited
- International collaboration can be considered as a measure of global acceptance of a university. Total number of documents of a university published in collaboration with the universities of other countries is obtained from ISI database for the years 2005-2009.
Posted on November 2, 2011, in General News, Tech page and tagged electric car, Innovation, Kiira EV, Makerere University, Top 10 universities in Africa, University rankings. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.